Do you have an outdoor space to escape to and relax? Whether your space boasts an expansive porch or a small deck, getting outdoors is so much more inviting when you have intentional design. And with the arrival of warmer days comes plenty of opportunity to create a change of scenery at your personal address.
Today's outdoor living trends mimic high end resort design. It seems as though every chain store has solutions for you to maximize your outdoor potential. But creating that chic look doesn't have to be super costly. Follow these easy steps to create your own dreamy oasis.
- Start with Pinterest. Did you know there are different outdoor living styles? Not all looks are the same, and to help you figure out your personal preference, start to pin ideas. Look over your outdoor living board and determine the theme. Do you have more boho designs pinned? More coastal? Retro or farmhouse?
- Shop your home. What do you currently have that will function well in your preferred design style? Does it need repainting or new outdoor fabric?
- Collect the five outdoor essentials. Hopefully the hunt is fun for you. If not, enlist the help of someone for whom it is! There are many options for finding the essentials: online marketplaces, flea markets, thrift stores, regular retail. What are the five outdoor design essentials? A rug, seating, table, greenery, and accents.
- Be intentional. Be prepared to spend more time getting the look just right. An eclectic design may come along more quickly, but the resort style requires more selective elements. If your furnishings are different colors and/or materials, try to keep the cushion colors the same. Consider repeating the color theme in all textiles and pottery. Speaking of repetition, bring in multiples of the same tropical plants and flowers. Be selective with accent pieces. Better to have a pair of statement pieces than a dozen items that are small and create a cluttered look.
- Enjoy your private oasis. It's so much better than being at a resort, right? But don't keep your outdoor living space all to yourself. Plan a gathering and take it outside! Your guests will love it.